Got a question about Sydney Water Tap inTM?

Call us on 1300 082 746 8.30 am to 5.30 pm - Monday to Friday

Frequently asked questions

How do we determine the prices for applications?

The Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) determines our prices.

Please read Prices for other services for information about Sydney Water Tap in™ services.

How do we determine the prices of an asset adjustment job?

We use a quote process to manage the price of asset adjustments.

How can you find a Water Servicing Coordinator (WSC)?

View a list of Water Servicing Coordinators (WSCs).

How can you find a list of accredited external providers?

View a list of accredited external providers.

How can you reset your password?

You can reset your password using the 'Forgot Password' button on the Log in page.

What payment options can you use?

You can pay using your credit card. We accept VISA and MasterCard.

We'll be introducing additional payment options in the near future.

Why can't you open your diagram or approval letter?

The diagrams and letters are in PDF format. You need to have the latest version of a suitable PDF reader installed.

How can you pay for your application?

You can pay for all applications and services using your credit card. We accept VISA and MasterCard, and if your application is approved you’ll get a response instantly.

If you’re applying for a Section 73 application you’re also able to use BPAY, and this usually takes 2-3 days for your payment to process. We’ll respond to you once your payment has been received by us

We'll be introducing additional payment options in the near future.

How long will your BPAY payment take to process?

A BPAY payment usually takes 2-3 days to process, but this depends on your bank. You can call them to confirm.

We’ll begin processing your application once the payment has processed.

When do you need us to approve your building plans?

If you need building approval from a council or certifier, you also need our approval.

What plans do you need to submit?

Generally the site plan is suitable. It must show all works and excavation being done, including driveways and stormwater detention basins or pits.

Do you need to submit details of each structure?

Yes. If you're building more than one structure on your land, you need to submit details of each structure, eg a house and pool.

Do you need to have the plans approved by council or a certifier before you apply?

No, you can apply at any time.

Do you need to apply again if you want to move a structure and change the plans?

Yes, if your plans have changed, you need to apply again.

Will we stamp your plans if the council or certifier asks for a stamp?

No, we no longer stamps plans. We provide electronic approval only.

We've notified all councils and certifiers about the new process.

Is your Quick Check agent's approval still ok?

Yes, your approval is still valid.

What do you do if you've been given approval, but find some Sydney Water pipes on your property?

Please call us on 1300 082 746 as soon as possible.

Can you submit an application if you don't need approval?

Yes. If you're worried that your building works might affect our pipes, please apply and submit the details.

Our system will determine if everything is OK. You might not need approval for a driveway, but getting it ready might mean digging near our watermain or sewer.

What can you do if your plans haven't been approved?

We'll review the information submitted and let you know the outcome.
If we can't approve the plans, it's because your building or excavation works might affect our pipes. We'll refer you to a Water Servicing Coordinator who can further assess this for you.

What do the symbols on the sewer service diagram mean?

Read our Help with your sewer diagram fact sheet to find out what symbols mean, what they do and how to get help.

What does it mean when the diagram is restricted?

There are different reasons why diagrams have restricted access.

You need to provide written permission from the property owner before we can provide the diagram to you.

Why doesn't the diagram show the new work on site?

Check if your plumber's finalised the works with NSW Fair Trading. We receive the updated diagrams once the works have been finalised.

How can you contact the plumber who did the work?

If the diagram has been drawn since 2009, the plumber’s license number is on the diagram. Contact NSW Fair Trading to confirm the plumber’s details.

What can you do if a diagram isn't available?

Check if your plumber's finalised the works with NSW Fair Trading. We receive the updated diagrams once the works have been finalised.

Why doesn't the diagram show the location of Sydney Water's pipes?

If you want to know the location of our pipes, you need to buy a Service Location Print.

Diagrams drawn before 2009 may also show the location of our sewer, but new diagrams only show work done by the licensed plumber.

Can you use this diagram to plan your building works?

These diagrams are generally not to scale, so they shouldn't be used to design your building works. Always use a Service Location Print.

Who can provide a better copy if the plumber's drawn diagram is hard to read?

Unfortunately we can't change the diagram drawn by the licensed plumber.

What should you do if you don't know exactly when your business will start trading or discharging?

Pick a date close to when you feel you may be ready to start trading. We'll use that date for the start of your approval.

How do you know what kind of pre-treatment equipment or grease trap to install?

Find out about our requirements for Commercial trade wastewater customers,  otherwise a Business Customer Representative will be in contact to advise you on your requirements.

How long will it take to get your trade waste approval?

It can take up to 21 days to issue trade waste approval documents.

Will will you need an inspection?

All trade waste applications need an inspection. These will happen shortly after you've started trading.

What should you do if you can't see your business activity or type listed?

Tell us about your business or activity by selecting 'Other' and using the text box to explain in more detail.

How long will the application process take?

Sydney Water Developer Direct will provide you with your Notice of Requirements within 14 days of receiving your completed application. If you don’t need to construct any works, we’ll also issue your Section 73 Compliance Certificate at the same time.

What does the application fee include?

Your application fee pays for:

  • a full assessment of your application and building plans by a technical expert
  • an experienced case manager who'll look after your application from start to finish
  • a Section 73 Compliance Certificate and building plan approval once any required work is completed.

What happens if you’ve misplaced your application information?

If you have a Sydney Water Tap in account, a copy of your application information will be in your Dashboard.

Who can you use to construct works in a Notice of Requirement letter?

You have the choice to use either a water servicing coordinator, or Sydney Water Developer Direct. We’ll provide you with a quote for any construction works with your Notice letter.