Connections & disconnections

Find out what's required when you need to connect to, or disconnect from, our services.

Think about the water, wastewater and stormwater services you need - or don't need.

If you want to connect a development that's more complicated than a standard house, it's a good idea to engage a hydraulic consultant. They can:

  • work out the best sized water connection and meter for your needs
  • design any pumps, tanks or wastewater equipment you need.

You'll also need to assess the site to determine our backflow requirements and find out if you need to meet our stormwater quality targets.

What can you apply for online?
Look at the list of applications you can make at  Sydney Water Tap in™ and the information you need to support them.

This includes both connection and disconnection applications.

Apply at Sydney Water Tap in™ for:

  • water connections
  • wastewater connections
  • stormwater connections to single houses
  • permission to discharge trade wastewater.

Find out about our application requirements for different connection applications. Applicants are responsible for the cost of applying and making a connection.

Ready to apply?

Apply online using the Sydney Water Tap in™ service.

You can't apply for stormwater harvesting, sewer mining and some priority sewerage program connections at  Sydney Water Tap in™.

To connect to these services, call us on 13 20 92 or talk to a Business Customer Representative.

You need to engage a provider when we approve your connection.

Choose a listed provider to make your connection and finish your plumbing work.  

Which provider do you need?

  • Listed drillers can make water main connections. If it's a very large connection or unusual pipe, we must make your connection.
  • Listed constructors can make a new point of connection to our gravity wastewater pipe. They can make short extensions to our system if we've given you permission.
  • Licensed plumbers can join your private plumbing to an existing water or wastewater connection. When you make a new water connection, you must get a licensed plumber to install the water pipe from the point of connection to the meter. 
  • Licensed plumbers must install the water meter within two days of connection. If you want us to install the meter, apply at Sydney Water Tap in™ and we'll install it free of charge.
  • Accredited backflow plumbers must assess your site's hazard rating if you have a commercial or industrial property. A licensed plumber must install the right kind of backflow device and it must be tested every year by an accredited backflow plumber.
  • Licensed plumbers with experience working in confined spaces must make your stormwater connection.

We must make your water main connection if:

  • our water mains are larger than 200 mm
  • your connection will be bigger than 50 mm
  • our pipes are made of any material except PVC, DICL or CICL
  • our pipes were laid before 1930.
Consider engaging a Water Servicing Coordinator if you need to install pipes or equipment we've agreed to own.  

NSW Fair Trading's role

NSW Fair Trading inspects plumbing on private property. This ensures it complies with the Plumbing Code of Australia.

Plumbers must pay the inspection fees and book an inspection with NSW Fair Trading. You can no longer pay us the inspection fees.

Sydney Water's role

We're responsible for ensuring connections to our pipes meet our standards.

We might inspect some plumbing installations to make sure they meet our conditions of connection. This may include plumbing such as:

  • tanks
  • pumps
  • wastewater treatment equipment.

You must have a meter fitted to your water service before you start using our water.

You don't need to fit a meter to a fire service unless we ask you to. Meters must be fitted to fire hose reel services.

Ready to apply?
Apply to fit a meter at Sydney Water Tap in™.
You can move in and occupy your building when council or a private certifier issues an occupation certificate. 

They'll need to see a copy of our Section 73 Compliance Certificate. This certifies that any works we require to our water or wastewater systems have been completed to our standards

Building plan approvals

New housing at Hoxton park

We need to check your building plans before you start building over or next to our assets.

Building over or next to assets

Compliance Certificates

Construction worker

Do you need our Section 73 Compliance Certificate for your development?

Steps for first time developers