Section 73 Compliance Certificates

When you develop or subdivide land, your council or certifier will tell you if you need a Section 73 Compliance Certificate from us.

A Section 73 Compliance Certificate confirms you've satisfied our requirements to adequately service your new subdivision or development with water, wastewater and stormwater services.

You need this certificate when you subdivide or develop land.
Before you get a certificate, you might need to:

  • install additional connections or pipes
  • pay developer fees
  • take steps to protect our existing assets, such as encasing pipes in concrete or relocating our sewer pipes on your property.

We'll outline everything you need to do in a Notice of Requirements letter. You'll need to ensure that any work is done before we issue your Section 73 Compliance Certificate.

Generally, your council won't give you an occupancy certificate for your new property unless you have a Section 73 Compliance Certificate from us first.

How you apply depends on the location, size and complexity of your development.

Apply through a water servicing coordinator

Water servicing coordinators are accredited providers who can manage applications for a Section 73 Compliance Certificate on your behalf. They can also offer design services and project management, including construction of the works in your Notice of Requirements.

Water servicing coordinators can help you with all kinds of developments that need major and minor works, and building plan conditions. For example, if your new building is near one of our wastewater (sewer) pipes you may need to concrete encase it before we give you building plan approval.

Find a water servicing coordinator 

Apply through Sydney Water Developer Direct™

Sydney Water Developer Direct™ enables you to apply for your Section 73 Compliance Certificate directly through us.

We can help you with small to medium developments that only need simple construction or protection work to meet our requirements. 

Call us on 1300 082 746 for more information. 

Apply now through Sydney Water Developer Direct™ 

There are four main steps involved in getting a Section 73 Compliance Certificate.

  1. Assessment
    When you apply for a Section 73 Compliance Certificate, we'll assess your development against our servicing requirements.
  2. Notice of Requirements
    If you already meet our requirements, we'll issue your Section 73 Compliance Certificate within 30 days.
    If you need to construct something to provide water or wastewater connections, or to protect our pipes and assets, we'll detail this in a Notice of Requirements letter. The letter is valid for 12 months. After that you'll need to re-apply and pay your application fees again.
  3. Construction
    You'll need to use a listed constructor to build and supervise any works outlined in your Notice of Requirements, or Sydney Water Developer Direct™ for minor works.
  4. Certificate and approvals
    We'll issue your Section 73 Compliance Certificate and building plan approval to take to your council when all the works from your Notice of Requirements are constructed and inspected, and any fees have been paid.
    If your development is large, complex or needs major works, you may have to meet other requirements before we'll issue a Section 73 Compliance Certificate.
We can't provide detailed requirements until we've assessed your plans.

In general, most developments need a sewer connection point constructed and a water service for each new lot as a minimum.

If you have a large or complex proposal, you can pay for a Feasibility application before you start. This will help you to get an idea of the work involved before you start planning your development. Contact a  water servicing coordinator to help you with this. 

We categorise construction works for developments as either major or minor works, depending on the complexity and impact to our pipes and assets.

The category your development falls under determines which choices you have when applying for your Section 73 Compliance Certificate.

This can be quite complicated to understand. Watch our video below for more information.

Application costs and timeframes

We'll send all Notice of Requirements letters within 60 days of receiving the application. You can expect a response within 30 days.

See prices for other services for current pricing. The Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) regulates our development application fees.

There are often other costs involved in assessing your application you should be aware of, including:

  • design services
  • project management and coordination costs
  • compliance inspections
  • negotiating entry to neighbouring properties
  • locating any assets or pipes on your property
  • administration costs.

Water servicing coordinators charge market rates for their services. We recommend calling more than one before you make a decision. This will help make sure you've found the one most suitable for your needs.

An application through Sydney Water Developer Direct™ has a fixed cost and is suitable for small to medium developments.

Construction costs

Construction costs are charged at a market rate and are not included in your application fees. Some costs to consider include:

  • building new pipes to connect into your property
  • equipment hire
  • clearing your site
  • road opening permits and inspection fees
  • concrete encasement of pipes and concrete piering fees.

Watch our construction costs video to give you an idea of what can impact the cost of your construction works.

Other costs

Sometimes, you'll need to pay for other applications or services to complete your Section 73 Compliance Certificate application.

  • Peg-outs (Service Protection Reports)
    You may need a peg-out if your development is close to one of our assets. A peg-out will tell you exactly where our pipes and assets are, and what the soil conditions are on the site. We'll use this information to work out if you need to take extra protection steps, such as concrete encasing a wastewater main or installing concrete piers.
  • Statement of available pressure and flow
    These are used to check if there's enough water or pressure available in the nearest water main to serve your new development.

    See prices for other services for current pricing.


If your secondary dwelling or granny flat has a maximum floor area of up to 60 m2 and has been approved by your council under the complying development provisions in AHSEPP, you don't need a Section 73 Compliance Certificate. Read our Requirements for secondary dwellings and granny flats.
You still need to apply for full building plan approval for any building or excavation work on your property. Apply online at Sydney Water Tap in™.

Find out more about the AHSEPP conditions from the Department of Planning.